Tuesday, August 17, 2010

One third of a year

Daddy!

I can't even believe that I turned four months old today! Mama pulled out the first picture that they took of me in the hospital. I swear, it looks like a totally different baby! We hopped on the scale this morning, and it said that I weigh 11 pounds. That means that I've gained about a pound and a half each month. Holy cow, that's a lot of growing! Of course, Mama just pointed out that she gained an average of 2.5 pounds a month when she was pregnant with me. I guess we're both good growers.

Anyway, we didn't do anything special to celebrate my mini-birthday. We took my monthly pictures, but that's about it. Oh, and we went to the store, too. Mama had a really good idea. Since I stare at the ceiling as I'm falling asleep and upon waking up, she decided to get me something fun to look at. I picked out a poster with the alphabet on it. I know, I can't even read yet, but if I'm gonna' stare at something, it might as well be educational, right? And I got a really pretty poster with the colors on it, too. I liked them both so much that I started to cry when Mama took them away to pay for them. I cheered up again when she put them in the car. I'm excited for them to be up on the ceiling (don't worry, Mama will be careful on the ladder.)

We've been going over to Auntie B's house once or twice a week so that Mama can work. I hang out in my bouncy seat on the counter while Mama does stuff like laundry, organizes the pantry, and separates fresh fruit to store in the freezer. I have a good time hanging out, watching Mama and smiling at Auntie B. when she comes upstairs to say hi. Mama seems like she's having a really good time, too. I think she likes getting out of the house, and I know that she loves Auntie B. I also think that Mama just feels good when she completes tasks and projects that are quantifiable and concrete. I know she loves staying home with me, helping me learn how to sit up, make sounds, focus on her words, track her motion, grasp my toys, and find my toes. Never really thought about it, but that's a lot! But when someone asks her what she does all day, she has a hard time answering their question. Mama knows that she does a lot, but I think she feels like she has to justify herself by being able to make a list of what she accomplishes each day. We're working on getting over that silly feeling. The point is, she likes working at Auntie B's because, for a three-hour chunk of time, she can see the immediate results of her work. I think that anyone who meets me can see the results of her hard work, in ways that are far more impressive than cleaning out Auntie's refrigerator. The most important thing is that Mama feels good. She is so happy to have me there with her. She always talks to me while she works, spelling things out and singing made-up songs. I'm really lucky to be able to hang out with her and not have to be in daycare. Thank you for that, Daddy.

Okay, it's waaaaaay past my bedtime. I'm sorry that you didn't have such a great day at work today, and I hope that tomorrow is better. At least you had my birthday pictures to cheer you up! Safe travels, and I'll write to you after my doctor's appointment next week.

Love, Piper

P.S. – Mama was on the phone with grandma for a long time tonight. It started out kinda' tense, but at the end they were both laughing and saying “I love you” a lot. I'm not too sure what that was all about, but conversations that end with those three little words must be okay, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment